How much does a website cost?
Without knowing all the details of a web project it is impossible to say how much it will cost because not every website is the same. Some websites require more functionality, thus requiring more work than others thus costing more.
So be wary of a website design company that gives you a price upfront without knowing exactly what you need. If they don't know all the specifics how can they tell you how much it is going to cost. They have no idea how much time it will take to complete or what additions will be needed. These add-ons will cost you more.
Why are some web design companies cheaper than others?
If something sounds too good to be true, chances are it probably is. It really comes down to you get what you pay for. So, if a web design company offers to do your website for a lot less, you need to ask yourself, why? Why can this company do my website for less?
Ask them the following questions:
- Is the website a pre-designed template or a custom design?
- Do you have a graphic or interactive design degree?
- Is this a static or dynamic site?
(a static site is an outdated html website and a dynamic site is a data driven site)
- Is your web design company located in the United States?
- Do you outsource your work to third parties?
- Are you a recent college graduate or are you still in college?
- Do you have experience?
- Will you provide me with a project scope?
- Who will I be dealing with?
- Will you submit my site to search engines and directories?
Design is IMPORTANT
Don't sell your organization short. Your website is not the place to cut corners. Your site should look professional, needs to be intuitive and most importantly, better than your competitions. You can't do that with an out of the box template or a sitebuilder tool that your son helped you with. Your website represents you 24-7 so it's important that it be built properly from design to coding.